Peace be with you!

My name is Nader Ata. I am a Conventual Franciscan Friar of the Our Lady of Angels Province, USA. I am a transitional deacon preparing for Priesthood Ordination in the fall.

Seeking to live with Franciscan Joy each and every day!

*All of photos on this blog were taken by me unless noted otherwise. Please ask permission before using them. Thank You!*

*Also I am not the greatest speller or writer in the world, so please let me know if something is misspelled. Thank you!"

Enjoy!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

An interesting day...

Today I wanted to make a dessert for the friars called "Dummy Cake" which tastes like a cobbler or an apple crisp when it is finished. The dessert is called "Dummy Cake" because a dummy can make it. You preheat an oven to 350°. Then you take a 9x13 pan and grease it up. Next you put two cans of pie filling, any kind, but I used apple today. After that take a box of pre-maid cake mix and spread it evenly on top of the fruit. Once that is done, cut thin slices of butter and layer the slices in rows covering the entire pan; which is about 1 1/2 to 2 sticks (max). If you miss a spot that part of the cake mix with not be cooked by the butter when baking. Anyway pop the cake in the oven for 45 minutes until golden brown and you have yourself a scrumdiddliumcious dessert which is amazing with ice cream.

Ok now back to the story, I was getting the cake all ready, but there was one problem; I could not turn the oven on! So I asked two of the friars and they said that they have never used the oven, but finally one of the friars did. Anyway they loved the dessert and it was a joy to be in the kitchen again. Besides that my day was interesting because we had a day of reflection and a house chapter on the grounds of a convent and I saw three things that I had never seen before. One was mango trees. Two was a coffee plantation, and red coffee and that. And three was a chicken barn.

Well it is time for me to go to bed, I will post pictures from today tomorrow. Adios

No comments: