Peace be with you!

My name is Nader Ata. I am a Conventual Franciscan Friar of the Our Lady of Angels Province, USA. I am a transitional deacon preparing for Priesthood Ordination in the fall.

Seeking to live with Franciscan Joy each and every day!

*All of photos on this blog were taken by me unless noted otherwise. Please ask permission before using them. Thank You!*

*Also I am not the greatest speller or writer in the world, so please let me know if something is misspelled. Thank you!"

Enjoy!

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Welcome of FrancisCorps 12 and a Cake Story

On Thursday, September 3rd, the 12 group of FrancisCorps arrived in Costa Rica for a year of service work. They are a great group of people, below is a picture of the group with Fray Jim (Director of FrancisCorps, Jordan, Tom, Jelly, Brittany, and Matt. If want to here more about their experiences check out Matt's blog (Catholic.Filipino.Ridiculousness) and Jordan's Blog (Mi Vida en Costa Rica!)

Now a cake story for the books....So I thought that it would be a great gesture to make a "special cake" for the Volunteers on their first Sunday with us, well little did I know that a mouse wanted the cake just as much as I did. This was my first double layer cake, so I decided to bake the cake the night before so that on the day of our lunch all I had to do was ice the cake.  Well on Sunday morning I found a whole in on of the cakes as your can see below, I thought that it was someone playing a trick on me, but it turns out that the friary has a mouse/mice problem.  
After donating the mouse bitten cake to the birds, I immediately went to store to buy more cake mix. When I got home from the store I made the cakes (yes cakes...now I was making a 3 layer cake) and impatiently waited for them to cool.  To make the cake even more interesting, I thought it would be cool to do a layer of chocolate icing between the cake layers and vanilla frosting over the whole cake.  Needless to say I was a little over ambitious for my first attempt at a layered cake and only going by what I had seen on TV.

As I began to layer the cake into its final form, the first two layers came out great and looked good.  But as I placed the third cake layer on top of the bottom two, the cake began to split, I figured that if iced it really quickly I could save the cake.  I thought the icing would cake as a glue.  Well instead of that occurring, the chocolate icing below the top layer became more like a slip and slide.  I had cake and icing falling everywhere. I distinctly remember Br. Jim "Nader your cake is falling!  No really Nader your cake is falling apart!" After saving massive pieces of the cake from falling on the floor, I ran of over to the sink and washed my hands.  I then proceeded to break apart the top layer of the cake to make a cake crumble topping for the cake.  It still looked pretty bad, so I made some green and blue colored icing.  I zigzagged the green icing first and then put the number 12 in blue for the 12th year of volunteers.  I entitled the cake "La tierra"!  Below is a photo of the end result.
And here is a photo of the inside of the cake, as you can tell the two layer cake came our pretty good.

No comments: