Peace be with you!

My name is Nader Ata. I am a Conventual Franciscan Friar of the Our Lady of Angels Province, USA. I am a transitional deacon preparing for Priesthood Ordination in the fall.

Seeking to live with Franciscan Joy each and every day!

*All of photos on this blog were taken by me unless noted otherwise. Please ask permission before using them. Thank You!*

*Also I am not the greatest speller or writer in the world, so please let me know if something is misspelled. Thank you!"

Enjoy!

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Patience, Discipline, and Humility

Today was the All Students Meeting for Oblate and Patience, Discipline, and Humility were the three words offered by the President Fr. Ron Rolheiser, OMI. The title of his talk was "The Place of Academics within the Preparation for Ministry." Just as one needs the call and the heart to be a minister one also need academics. Three words to remember during the school year are Patience, Discipline, and Humility. Fr. Ron spoke about St. Ignatius of Loyola trying to re-evangelize the world with Christianity and failing, so he went to school for 11 years, and then he founded the Jesuits. Patience is something to pray for. Two other virtues to mindful of during the year are humility and discipline.

Later during the day, another faculty member spoke about Fr. Ron's talk and she reordered his words by saying "Discipline, Humility, and Patience." I definitely like her order. For those who know me I am a procrastinator par-excellence so discipline is what I need in my life especially during the academic year. Maybe that is why I entered a religious community? I never thought about that. Anyway I also need humility because no matter how much I learn about God, the Church, and ministry I have only understood a fraction of the mystery of God. And lastly patience which is both a gift and a curse. It is a gift because it is a wonderful virtue to possess yet it is a curse because you only learn to be patience in having to be patient.

Cheers to Discipline, Humility, and Patience and to another year!

No comments: